Monday 28 November 2011

HTTP 500 Error at Secondary Site Management Point


Most commonly when I have seen HTTP 500 errors on a management point it’s been a SQL permissions issue. Today I ran across another problem that resulted in HTTP 500 errors when testing a management point on a child secondary site. in an effort to resolve the issue I removed the MP using the console on the central site then I noticed that the change was never reflected at the child primary to which to secondary site reports. I opened the sitectrl.ct0 file at the secondary site and I saw there was a delta change reflecting the removal of the MP however that change was not being sent up to the parent site for some reason. To test I made a copy of the sitectrl.ct0, renamed it to sitectrl.ct2 and copied it to the parent sites hman box. The hman.log showed that the site control file serial number was wrong and the file was rejected.

Editing the site control file manually is very unsupported. This is where you should really call CSS.

Of course I figured it was broken already so I may as well take a chance on it before calling support. I took note of the expected serial number version in the HMAN.log at the primary site. I then stopped the sms executive and site component manager services at the secondary site. Open the site control file in notepad, changed the serial number to the number expected by the primary site and saved the file. Next copy the file and rename the extension to ct2. Copy the renamed file to the hman inbox at the primary site and watch the hman.log. You should see the file process successfully this time.
Wait a few minutes then reinstall the management point from the console at the central site. After you see it’s been installed successfully by viewing the mpsetup.log test again using MPList and MPCert.
Cheers!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment